Fade (The Ragnarok Prophesies)

Fade - A.K. Morgen Let me first say This is a DNF review. I read about 1/3 of the book, and couldn't go any further. I may try again later (when i forget why I had to put it down), in which case I may add more to this review. Okay, So the first chapter (or 2) of Fade was pretty well written...More like heartwrenching really, the heroine loses her mother, and reading through her grief was painful...but at the same time, pushed me to keep reading to see how she deals....Unfortunately the story denegrates from there...(this is like 2 or 3 chapters in) And I took copious notes with all the things i had issues with, but it really all boils down to one thing: A.K.M (the netgalley i have says the author's name is Ayden Morgen) uses the modus operandi of telling without showing. The heroine feels pain (and she uses this word a lot), or and, I'm paraphrasing here, "it was the most pain she'd ever felt' but, IMO at least, that's a very vague sentiment. there are all sorts of pain, and it's such a general term...does she mean hurt? isolated? inconsaeable? wth does she mean by 'i'm in pain'?...And she'll talk about characters jumping into her mind, but we never really understand what that means. From what I read, at least 2 different characters make it into her mind, but I don't quite know what that means.Add to that, many, many times the heroine will know what another character is feeling/thinking without them every having to say a word...and quite a bit of the dialogue sounds more like an interview then real converstations...(and this irritated me to all hell and back, but seriously? would anyone, let alone the freaking Hero, ever answer a question, any question, with "probably so"? --that doesn't make you sound mysterious, it a makes you sound like a douche!grrr)Oh, and the hero sounds kinda whiney. the heroine is sorta a pushover/doormat. and there's insta-love...sorta (they fight it)and after getting to a third of the book, I still felt like I only had a sorta-kinda idea of what was going on. I', not sure if this makes sensse, but at times this felt like a real time diary entry.... the whole thing (but remember, I never finished) is pretty much the h's reaction to everything, rather then a whole cohesive story being told. Now, to be fair, I have to mention, I've got a love/hate thing going on with first person novels, but I've read some truly well written ones...ones that make me question why i avoided them so long, ones that live on my keeper shelf, and make me glad that I gave them a chance...Fade is pretty much the opposite. It's the bad kind of 1st pov writing, the kind that makes me think stories told this way are too confining, too narrow in scope, and make me never want to read another one again. Honestly, i think this would have been so much better in 3rd person, maybe not great, but better. As it it, it feels like we're on the periphery of a good story, but with the way it's written, we don't even get to the decent stage. 2 stars, -would've been one, but like i mentioned before, the begining was well done.