Dire Needs (Eternal Wolf Clan Series #1)

Dire Needs - Stephanie Tyler Okay, so what the hell was this? Wait, let me back track first and say Stephanie Tyler is an awesome writer. Her Romantic suspense titles are amazing...full of great characters that you can't help but give a shit about, enthralling storylines, and edge of your seat action, they're just freaking insane, and if you haven't read any of them, you really should give them a try. Same goes for the ACRO series, the PNR's she co-authors...and thy're crazy amounts of hot to boot!So, color me blindsided by the very meh-ness of Dire Needs. I cant help but feel like either her editor is slacking on the job or she got a new one that's no where near as awsome as the last one....there were a number of times I couldn't figure out what was going on...I had to keep flipping pages back, but more often then not I was still confused. There were even times this didn't even feel like a stephanie Tyler title...like someone with a similar name wrote it instead...and I'll admit it, I double, triple and quadruple checked that the spelling was the same, and that this was indeed the Ms Tyler I've become addicted to. it was like she was so busy building up the world, and giving far too many characters a voice, that the story and the characterization of our two leads ( as well as for all the other mentioned characers) suffered...for example we're told the heroine is more science/ logic minded, but her actions never really show that. And maybe it's just me, but the emotional strings the book tried to pull were shallow at best. The heroines supposed to be dying...with no hope...again, maybe it's just me, but I never felt the heaviness, the desperate resignation to her fate, or even any sort of acceptance( with the exception of a small scene in the beginng)...it seemed like she didn't know what to feel, and maybe that was the point, but it just left me feeling confused. Add to that, I couldn't figure out why the the main characters had to seal their mating so quickly...it felt like they met, found out she was part wolf, and oh hey we're mates, let's seal the deal! It was like very little thought was put into it...on both their parts. So it came off, IMO unbelievable. Also there were times I had to double check that this was the first book in the series, as it was written in a way that implied I should know certain things, and therefore those certain things weren't as fully explained, as IMO they should've been. And not a lot happened. I think this was going for a mix between PNR and UF, so a lot of the story was setting up the overarching storyline....so much so that It kinda sorta stole the thunder outta the H and h's relationshipTo be fair, maybe I wasn't in the mood to read this, although generally speaking ST's name on a book, usually puts me in the right frame of mind...but for me, this was at best a 3 star read, with only a slight chance (propagated by the fact that I know My Tyler is a great writer) of giving the next book a try. Also on a sidenote, the word dire is used a lot. Like a lot a lot....I don't think I've ever come across, or hell, even used it as many times as it comes up in this book.