The Girl in the Steel Corset (The Steampunk Chronicles)

The Girl in the Steel Corset - Kady Cross Somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars.Okay, let me start off by saying this was an excellent read, it was fun, well written and kept me up longer than was wise (I'm beyond tired, atm, but it was well worth it!)Quite  a lot happens in the the book, not just to our heroine, there are quite a few characters we get to know (all of whom I liked) and IMO, it's easy to relate to them (despite the fact that I'm not a YA anymore). On the downside, there were a couple things that bugged me, (hence the less then 5 stars) but mostly there were just personal grievances:  First there's a secondary Irish character's over use of the word 'lad'. Now, I know it can be used to refer to men as well, (okay, yes, I looked it up, It bugged me that much) but in my head, it's used to refer to a younger boy or even a teen, by someone older...If I've got my number's   right, this particular character was the youngest of the lot, so her use of the word just sounded wrong...the fact that it felt like she used it almost every time  she said anything, had the aggravating effect of yanking me right out of the story. Add to that, this Irish girl had ropey hair...what the hell is that? every time the author mentioned her physical characteristics, we read about her ropes of hair...For me, that made it nearly impossible to imagine what this girl looks like, and again it pulled me right out of the story, because every time she word came up (and it came up a lot) I'd stop and try to figure out what the author meant. Along with those two, there's only two other aspects of the book that bothered me...One, was the few roll your eye moments in the book...Perosnal telegraph machines, really? (that particular device bothered me to no end, because it seemed like a cop out, instead of coming up with a creative way for her characters to communicate, Madame Authoress, just pseudo-historified current technology to fit her needs (A cell phone is a cell phone by any other name, my friend. )Lastly, the author at one point says the bad guy is so very bad, because he's not mad. He's sane but feels he's right, which of course makes him all the more dangerous.. However at the end, another character says same said bad buy was obviously mad for years....the two statements are just so opposing, that it jarred me right out of the story...again. There are a few other contradictions that annoyed me as well, but that one was probably one of the more blatant ones.But despite all my own issues, 'The Girl in the Steel Corset' was really, really good. My own grievances were pretty minor, I'm just horrifically longwinded :p...well okay, they were  significant enough for me to mention, but the overall story is just so good, that they don't over power the story in anyway. Honestly, the most frustrating part of the book though, is the very end: It's a cliffhanger, dammit!