The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1)

The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1) - Mindee Arnett The first 3/ 4ths of this book was pretty engrossing, and was hard to put it down... the resolution was a little too easily predicted, though, and everything tied up a little too neatly for me. Plus I didn't like how the romances aspect of the story played out, but I don't know how to explain it without spoilers, so the H is on a relationship with someone who's not the heroine...but he doesnt have any magic, and apparently most people wothout any magic are looked down upon, but this bitchy girl he's with is a siren....so its never explained why she's with him....is he so hot, the fact that he's ordinary overlooked? or is she into him because her family would hate him...again cuz he's got no magic of his own? also, its implied that sirens manipulate everyone around them, consciously or unconsciously...why didn't it occur to him, even a little bit, that that might be happening with him...he didn't even know why he was with this other girl...did no one tell him what sirens were? Even if he didn't believe it, i'd have preferred to have someone obviously tell him, at least something about sirens, rather than being left to guess. it just didn't make all that much sense to me...and the ending! How he left things, with the h, seemed rushed....like if there had been more pages, it would have been built up to, but it wasn't the right time for anything to occur, IMO. So I'll just say 4 to 4.5 stars for the first 75% and 2.5 to 3 for the last bit.